Sunday, July 6, 2008

Tired

Today, I just want to vent. There will be no pop quiz, and no answers to questions. I simply want to vent.

I'm tired...tired of war, destruction, poverty, and death.

As you all know by now, we have lost another of our classmates. He died too young. They all did. It is both sad and unfortunate. I feel for his loved ones, and I grieve silently. I did not know James but from auto mechanics class. He was gifted with tools and always had a good joke to tell. I wouldn't go as far as to say we were close, but we were familiar.

The tragedy is unbearable to some, unthinkable to others. He gave his life in the service of saving others. It haunts me to think of those we went to school with in harms way everyday. Several are police officers, I know of one that is a firefighter.

I have dealt with death many times in my life. We have all lost loved ones, I'm sure. I have lost friends, cousins, grandparents, great-grandparents, and people I never knew. I have seen death first hand, and I know its capability.

I have lost people to the war, and people to disease. I have seen death take those who seemed healthy and those who were far too young to leave. I have watched helplessly as a 10 year old boy died in my arms from a traffic accident. It all haunts me.

I know this is macabre. I understand it can be considered in poor taste. I apologize to any I have offended. I simply needed to vent.

Many feel it is all part of a "plan", some say "It was just his time". There are many avenues to use when dealing with grief. My way...I think of the person and toast them one last time.

So...raise your glass..a toast to those passed on, and a toast to those left behind. May some day soon we meet and remember old times once again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brandon, I do not know of whom you are speaking. But I have seen tradegy on a first hand basis as well. I am a paramedic and I see murders, suicides, child abuse and so much more. Senseless voilence. It does haunt me at times as well. I deal with it by talking with my husband and close friends who are also in the fire and EMS industry. It helps.

So, I raise my glass with you, to all those lives I have come across that have been ended so suddenly.

Kim (Anderson)