Saturday, July 12, 2008

Expectations

I recently had an experience with a sales clerk that led me to this post. What I would like to discuss is our expectations in this world. What do we feel we deserve when we dine out, or buy our groceries, or even just stop for a cup of coffee in the morning? What exactly do we feel we are owed??

First off, let me tell you where I come from. My resume can honestly boast over 16 years in the customer service industry. 11 of those years were in restaurant management (Ponderosa, The Pie, Mulboon's, Rocky Mtn. Pizza), and the remainder in service industries such as Target or even 7-11. Right out of high school I was wating tables and worked my way into management. I have since chosen a different occupation, but the lessons taught to me are still there. I know what I offered then...and I know what I expect now.

The other day, like every work morning, the man I carpool with and I stopped at the 7-11 for our morning ritual. We have stopped every morning for the past 16 months or so. The same lady is there every morning. By now, after being asked over 300 times for my I.D. when buying cigarettes, I tend to get a little irate. Anyway, this particular morning something had definitely planted itself firmly in this womans' rear end. She went on and on about how the Budweiser delivery guy had actually dared "tell her what to do." As I appraoched the counter she was ranting to Hispanic man about it. The ONE person in the store who didn't speak a lick of English, and she just wouldn't let it go. He politely nodded and smiled, not knowing what in the world this crazy person was going on about. My turn comes and I lay down my juice, my croissant ( ain't I dainty?), and my daily newspaper. She scans the newspaper twice, and the guy I work with informs her of this. She looks at him and says "Oh, you're one of those". I politely asked her what she meant by it and she responded with "One of those that likes to tell others how to do their jobs." I simply stated that in fact he was informing her of a mistake that could cost her company money. She decided to go on the offensive.....WRONG move to choose around someone like me. I lit into her saying "First of all, he wasn't telling you how to do your job, and secondly, this isn't your first mistake". She huffed and huffed (if I had a house, woulda been blown down I tell ya). She informed me I could take my business elsewhere if I didn't like the way she did things. Hmmmmm...now what would Brandon do???

Now over the years, I have had many people tell me this exact thing. After a poorly cooked meal, or absolutely inadequate service. Most of the time, I let it go. But on those rare occasions when I speak up, and I am told I can take my business elsewhere, I like to inform them of the 10-10-10 rule. Simply put, I tell 10 people about my experience, they tell 10 people, etc. etc. It snowballs into the possibility of over 600 people being told about one establishment and their inefffective ways. That usually makes them think twice or even recant their decision. A butt kissing is usually in order when I'm through. I guess I'm the customer service nazi to some.

It's what I was taught, trained, and groomed for. I learned from the start that every dollar counts. I understood the customer/server relationship and I followed it. I never spoke out of turn to a customer (unless it was a comment that I knew would get a laugh). I would have never treated someone poorly without a good excuse.

So now that I have ranted myself, I leave it in your hands. I ask you this...what do you expect from your experience? Do you think that the customer/consumer relationship has gone downhill? Do you demand more for your dollar? Do you think certain people demand a little more than others? I know that working on the east side of Salt Lake, and managing a restaurant there, they sure do. Do you feel that society today is lacking in quality? Do you feel that your opinion is taken seriously when you "complain"? Do you want to reach behind the counter and choke the person telling you " Uh, yeah, like I got to get my manager and stuff k"? Have we gotten too used to just taking it on the chin? I will honestly admit that I can be overbearing when I am the recipient of some high school dropout and his/her attempt at what they call "service". I have embarassed both my family and potential Mrs. Brandons...so be it. I know what I expect, and I know how it should be. I leave it up to you now...tell me what irks you. Let me know where you stand.

Thank you again for your candor, and your honesty. Happy reading..........

Brandon

3 comments:

DeLaina said...

www.draperdiners.blogspot.com The Buona Vita experience was about as bizarre as any when it comes to lack of service.

Also, a few years ago, my inlaws dined with us at Bob Evans restaurant in Columbus, OH, and my mil's soup was frigid. She hesitantly mentioned it to me and when I offered to ask the waitress to take it back, she refused and said it was fine. But, of course I said something to the waitress about it and she pleasantly exchanged the cold soup for hot soup (unlike the Seinfeld Soup Nazi who would have said, "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"). I asked her at the end of the meal, "Now wasn't that better to say something and allow them to treat you right, than to whine and complain about it but not be willing to do something to change it?" Her response was that she hoped I hadn't rocked the boat too much. Hunh? By asking for soup to be served at something above room temperature?

I guess it's all about expectations. I expect that if I am going to give my hard-earned money to someone for a product or service, that it had darn well better be worth it. Otherwise, I have every right to politely request that it be exchanged or fixed or whatever.

PS One of my biggest pet peeves is when you walk up to a counter to buy something and the staff is having some sort of ever-so-important conversation that can't possibly be interrupted to do their jobs. It takes me about 10 seconds to say, "Excuse me, would one of you be kind enough to help me out?" And then they act annoyed that I interrupted them. To give them money for something. That pay their wages. Unbelievable.

Lisa J said...

Hey Brandon--I said it before (maybe even twice) but it's still worth saying again--I'm really happy to have met you at this mini-reunion. It was really fun talking to you. It would've been nice to actually have met you in high school (unless we did meet and have both forgotten), but good to know you now. My husband thought you were hilarious.

Thanks for the kind words on my blog. It means a lot to know I've made at least one other person (besides myself) laugh.

And now I've totally forgotten what I was going to say about this blog post....uhhhh...yeah...I agree?

Lisa J said...

Oh, maybe I thought this was the mini-reunion post. Ah well, I still agree with this one...