Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Reading...

I was recently challenged by a few of you out there to read the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyers. I can honestly say I have started it and read rather easily the first 200 pages in one sitting. My honest opinion? Not bad. Not what I'm used to by any means..I like a book with a little "meat" on its bones. So that brings me to this entry. What makes a book good? Some out there, like my brother for example, like Autobiographies. I, however, do not. Some people like a book that instructs them on how to think, act or feel. To these I say "Pshaw". Me? I like a book that has a good story line, a believable main character and writing that makes me anticipate picking that book up at every possible chance. Now don't get me wrong, I have read self-help books, and I have read my share of Autobiographies, they are just not my "cup of tea" if you will.



So todays blog is about books. I have seen what some people have posted in their virtual bookshelves, and I must say...interesting. I'm sure some of you have looked through mine and thought the same ( but how many of you noticed that I included ALL the Dr. Seuss books as "read")? So let me pose this question to those of you brave enough to post back. What, in your mind, makes a good book?? Do you like being swept into a world of talking house elves and boy wizards? Do you prefer a book on doctrine or religion? Is your taste more inclined to political or Government? Or are you the sugar-induced, goofy grin on our face romance enthusiast? That's what I want to know. What, in your eyes, makes a book truly great? What would it take for you to recommend it to others?

Psychologists say that we are defined by what we read. Please! Everything we do defines us. If what we read actually makes us who we are, than I would be a half-alien, mind reading, gun-slinging, murderous car, for you see I have read and enjoy all of Stephen Kings work. I hope I don't strike you as a rabid dog hell bent on trapping you in your crappy Volkswagen.

Growing up we are all asked at one point or another to read something. Wether it was for a grade, your particular religion, or to understand Birth or even Death. Does this mean that those books are good? To everyone, the answer is different of course. In school I was forced to read many books or fail a course. I read them dutifully and can honestly say that Lord of the Flies, and Great Expectations are not now nor ever will be my "favorite" books. I'm sure some of you would say that about Shakespeare, or even Poe. Not everyone likes poetry or understands it. Does that make them less of a person? Not in my eyes.

Mark Twain is quoted as saying "The man who does not read a good book, has no advantage over the man who cannot read." I honestly believe that. But what makes a book good? That's the question I pose to you, dilligent reader/s. Tell us and others what your favorites are and why. Tell us if you agree with banning certain books from current school curriculum. Are there books you feel should be banned? Let us know how you feel about books and the influence some have over society today. Do you follow Oprah's suggested reading list? Do you read a book before you see the movie? Do you compare them afterwards? Do share.

Until we post again, Brandon

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, I do not like autobiographies, self help, religious, etx... I love SYORIES, books with great characters. I love mystery, sci-fi, romance...NOT GROSS romance, suspense. I just LOVE to read.

Brandon said...

Lisa, if you enjoy books written in the same context as Harry Potter (wizards, mythical creatures, and romance), check out the works of Terry Goodkind. Its a 10 or 11 book series starting with Wizards First Rule.

Kamie said...

I love a book that is totally different from my own life. Don't get me wrong, I have a great life, but I don't want to read about people like me (I'm quite boring actually). I like books from other time periods or that have things that don't exist on our planet (Harry Potter, Leven Thumps, Twilight, Poison Study, etc.). I like to be sewpt away into other worlds and live in them for awhile while I read. I also enjoy a good romance :)

Kamie said...

Are the books you mentioned to Lisa appropriate reading for a ten year old boy? I have a son that reads almost a book a day. It's very hard to keep him supplied with new reading materials.

Anonymous said...

My Megan reads a book a day also! I can't get to the library fast enough!
Thanks for the reccomendation, I will "check them out"!;)

Brandon said...

Well....there is some advanced subject matter for a boy of ten. In a few of the books it deals with topics such as rape, pillaging,and slavery. It is advanced reading, but without the harsh language. There is alot of death and destruction. It would be more appropraite for someone 15 or older in my honest opinion. I would hate for those topics to scar or bewilder someone younger. Has your son read the Eragon series? Dragons, magic, wonder..The third book is due out in Sept. this year, and was written by a 14 year old boy. Another series I would reccomend is the Hobbitt series...one of my all time favorites. The Spiderwick Chronicles is another I would recommend to a young man his age as well.

Kamie said...

Yes he has read the Eragon series multiple times. He has re-read the Leven Thumps series about 4 times, same with Fablehaven. He's an interesting kid. With his own money he bought and read an autobiography of Albert Einstein. He also loves Louis Lamour books.
Maybe I'll read the Terry Goodkind books and then decide if he can read them. (We have let him watch Lord of the Rings and other such movies. He loves war themes! His favorite game is World of Warcraft.) Thanks for the suggestions.