Sunday, June 21, 2009

Papa, can you read this??

OK, so it's Father's Day today, and like I did on Mother's day, I thought I would blog my Father into fame. Unlike Mother's Day, Father's Day was not always so. It was originally started in 1908 in a church in West Virginia, and observed in 1910 in Spokane. It was not made an official federal holiday until 1966 by President Johnson.

My Dad was born November 3rd, 1946. To those of you knowing your history, that was before paper, fire and electricity were invented. My Dad has had gray hair since I can remember, and like my Mother, blames his children. I'm just glad he has hair and there is no pattern for baldness there.

In his lifetime, he has had many different jobs. For 30 years he was a Deputy Sheriff and a soldier. He has also been a ward organist, pianist, choir member, scholar, amateur mechanic, unpublished author, scoutmaster and gardener. He has raised three children, and is currently helping raise two grandchildren.


I have learned much from my Father, like how to put out a campfire the Boy Scout way (ask your husbands if you are unfamiliar with this method). I have learned to love reading and appreciate music as well. As a youth, I would often times lay in bed listening to my pops play Chopin, or Beethoven on the piano. He still plays today, and I find it remarkable he can play by memory.

Growing up, my dad often worked two or three jobs. We would many times visit him working security at Harmon's, or take him dinner to the National Guard. These were fun times for us kids, and I remember them fondly. I was always proud of seeing him wearing his police officer uniform, and loved to hear the sound of the leather belt as it creaked when he moved.

My Dad likes reading, writing (I think he should blog), texas hold-em poker, camping (on four wheels), trivia, mexican food, diet coke, and burnt cookies. He has degrees in both education and music from more than one University. He knows the movie Men in Tights by heart, and loves to watch it any chance he gets. He has very big hands and loves palming basketballs whenever he can. He loves buffets, BYU football (we dont hold that against him), and hockey ( I think it's me who makes that sport fun). He is a graduate of Granite High School. where he met my Mother. We don't hold that against him either (the school, not meeting my Mom).

Since knowing my Dad is to understand him, let me tell you about two of my most painful, agionizing memories. Shortly after I had foot sugery when I was 17, we went to Washington D.C..We (I dont remember being in on this decision) decided it was best to see the sights by walking. We walked from Washington's Monument to Arlington Cemetary and back to the Smithsonian...IN ONE DAY !To this day I limp and walk in circles from the damage caused to my feet from all the walking (ok, not really). In 1986, my family and I went to British Columbia for the Worlds Fair. It was a blast. Coming home and crossing the Grand Coulee Dam, Dad took the turn a little sharp in the rented motorhome and ripped the stair completely off. We continued to drive completely across the Dam to the other side where I was volunteered to walk back across and retrieve the missing stair. I returned to the motorhome after my 19 mile walk (it was only 400 yards but seemed more at the time), only to discover we had to drive back the way we came anyway...thats right...across the Damn Dam.

My Father is a wonderful man and has worked his whole life to make sure his family wants for nothing. Other than my learned respect for walking, I have picked up a few other things along the way. I love trivia, reading, camping, music and a good laugh. All these can be attributed to my old man. Making him snot diet coke is one my favorite pastimes, and I must admit, I am the current undefeated champ. I share his middle name as does my son. He has done some very unique things in his life. He has played with Engelbert Humperdink (ask your parents), and Liberace. I love my Father very much, and owe him a great deal. I strive daily to make him proud, and there are times when I have failed. He has really taken to jackie and her brood, and for that I am grateful. I think she talks to him more than she talks to me ( I love you honey).

So to all you Fathers out there reading this..Happy Father's Day. To those of you not Fathers but reading anyway, I thank you. Love your families and love each other. Until next time....

Brandon

No comments: