Sunday, May 24, 2009

In Awe

Today I took a trip with my parents and my brother to see the traveling Vietnam Memorial being hosted in Ogden. Awe inspiring. To stand in front of 56,000 names of those who served our Country bravely and without question. My Mom's brother is on that wall. I have seen the actual one in Washington D.C., and although this one is 1/10 the size, it is no less of a reminder.

It got me thinking. I have never been one to be wowed or in awe over someone famous. In my life (so far), I have met Bill Cosby, Stephen King, John Elway, Mrs. Debbie Fields, Jeff Foxworthy, Eric Clapton, Ketih Urban, Steve Young, Toby Keith, and Condoleeza Rice. I have been personal security for Green Day, Gov. Michael Leavitt, and President Thomas S. Monson (before he was the President, but still very important). I have worked with and met members of the Steve Miller band, U2, Rolling Stones ( Keith Richards offered me a bottle of wine...several times), The Offspring, Marie Osmond, Michelle Branch, The Who, Ty Murray, Tuff Hedeman and Carrie underwood ( I babysat her dog for her). I have also met and worked with Governor Herbert, and Miley Cyrus ( a diva..truly). I know the actual identities of both the Jazz Bear and Buzz, the mascot for the Bees. I have met and swapped jokes with many Jazz players, and had the opportunity to meet Shawn Bradley. I have a friend who lives in L.A. and he treated me to lunch on Rodeo Drive one time..on Rodeo Drive. Two tables away from us were Al Pacino and Dustin Hoffman. Neat, but not awe inspiring. I guess you could say I've been there and done that.

What truly inspires me and makes me smile are those who put their lives on the line daily for the benefit of others. The Policemen and Women, Firefighters, Soldiers, Teachers, and anyone else who makes a genuine difference in this World. I salute you all. I never served in the military, and to have seen the 56,000 names on that wall made me proud to live in the Country I do. I want to take the time and thank them all, for everything they do and have done. Without the sacrifices made daily by these fine folks, I dare not think where our coutry would be today.

Best wishes to you all, and have a safe and happy Memorial Day. As always, thank you for reading and for being who you are.

Brandon

2 comments:

Kamie said...

I agree with you Brandon. I've never been one to be awed by celebrities. Most of them are so out of touch with reality anyway. It's the everyday heroes that you have talked about that I am in awe of. Thanks for a great post.

Okay so I wouldn't mind meeting Keith Urban :)

Anonymous said...

Amen, Amen , and Amen