Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother

Mother's Day was created by Anna Jarvis and put into law becoming a National holiday by President Woodrow Wilson. It's not as old as you may think. Back in the 16th century however, Mothering Day was celebrated in the U.K., and even that can be traced back to very early pagan or Christian rituals. We know it today as a day to honor our Mothers. For their sacrifices, like the 56 hours of labor (if we are to believe them), or all they have done for us along the way. However you celebrate it, remember to honor your Mother the best way that you can.

This brings me to the heart of my blog today. My Mother. She is a kind, affecionate, caring, demanding, and often times a devious woman who knows more than she lets on. For example, one New Years Eve I went out with some friends. I was told to be home by 11:00 and being New Years Eve, I decided to stay out till after Midnight. The next morning I awoke to find my drivers license on the counter...cut up into 60 very neat little pieces. I learned then the value of keeping curfew.

I have learned much from my Mom. Including but not limited to how to cook, how to hang my clothes properly (if they weren't hung right, they were taken from the hanger and I got to try again), my beyond excellent penmanship ( if it couldn't be read, it was re-written), and the fine art of being domesticated. Yes, thanks to my Mother, I now know how to take out the trash and do dishes. My Mom has always been there, through tough times and good.

In her life she has experienced a lot. She has had a tree dropped on her head resulting in a concussion... she took an aspirin and went back to work. She has made very, and some would consider too close, friends with a jumping cactus. She has suffered through camping trips in trailers that would leak, an epileptic dog, more car accidents than she has fingers (she still has all ten), and three children who she claims gave her gray hair ( I blame my sister for all of it). She lost her Brother in Vietnam, and has had to live with the loss of a Grandchild. She has stood by two of her children through divorce and the heartache it has brought. She has been a cafeteria worker, a night shift supervisor, a day care director and she is currently a teacher with Granite School District. She works with mentally and physically disabled children.

One of my fondest memories of my Mother is making cookies when I was younger. Our favorite ( and mine still to this day) were Snickerdoodles. We would make enough to feed a small army, and spend a great deal of the day rolling little dough balls. She spent many hours making cookies for neighbors (ask me someday about the 12 days of Christmas cookies), and always has a good recipe to share. She likes to eat fresh peas from the garden, and she cheats at cards...how else can you explain never losing?

She can gamble all weekend in Wendover (or anywhere else for that matter) on just $20. We can often find her sitting at the same machine we left her on Thursday when we are ready to leave on Sunday. Every Christmas is an orgy of gifts. She goes out of her way to make it the best for all involved. Wether it's wrapping 300 pounds of books for my Dad (all in one box mind you), or stopping to get a brick from a torn down building to give to someone who worked there, there is always a surprise or two. Most years she goes without. She is not an easy person to shop for. Whenever a Birthday or Chirstmas approaches we all scramble for ideas. Dropping hints to one another at what we think she might like. I think I can honestly say my siblings and I surprised her this year by sending her 200 flowers for Mother's Day. I learned my lesson a few years back though...my Brother and I got the idea of Christmas lists..you know, write down what you would like or need, and we dispersed them among the family. My Mother got hold of one of these and we recieved everything we had jotted down. Last year though, the lists didn't contain much, and she still managed to fill it all.

Now not every Mother is like Carol Brady (thank God for that one), and not every Mother is like Roseanne. They are all different in their own ways, and that is what makes them truly unique. Mine is always telling me "you're not funny". My Mother has seen me through some very difficult times and I know that she will always be there. She is the strength and the glue that keeps our family together. She has done so much in her life to be proud of, and I wouldn't be what I am today without her support and love and her guidance. I thank her for everything she has done, all she has taught me, and for never giving up. I love my Mother more than she knows, and will always look forward to our next Snickerdoodle adventure.

To all you Mommies and wives out there...Happiest of Happy Mother's Day. I appreciate you reading, and hope that you find yourself in bed trying to eat breakfast surrounded by your family jumping on the bed. It is what you deserve and what you are entitled to. My best to you all.

P.S. Mom, if you're reading this...that wasn't really me hiding in the back of Dave Kettles truck when we were supposed to be at school...I swear it wasn't.

1 comment:

DeLaina said...

Cracking up about the cut up driver's license! I am SO doing that to my kid for not being home on time! I love it!