Friday, June 26, 2009

Must watch T.V.

Lately I have been bothered by the never ending trend of reality tv. I don't watch it (except for my Hell's Kitchen), and I can't say I support it at all. What does it say about our society when we actually care that Spencer Pratt walked away from a show? Is it newsworthy that Joan Rivers cries like a baby when they boot her daughter from tv? It must be, because every news channel, and every radio station add it to their lineup of "celebrity" news. We have more than 1 billion people in the United States, and there are people going on television to find husbands and wives. Why? To me this says something about their character. It tells me that to them love is a spectacle best served weekly at 8 followed by re-runs of American Idol or Dancing with the Stars.

I know people who are addicted to reality tv, and I don't push my personal opinion on them. That's what great about living where we do...we have 230 channels to watch and the freedom to do so. Watch what makes you happy. I just don't like hearing about Speidi (Spencer and his "wife" Heidi), and I could honestly care less who was voted off the island for not eating the glazed beetle turd. Most of these are celebrities by name only. What have they contributed to entertainment exactly? Has Brody Jenner done anything with his life other than live off his Dad's Olympic name? Has Kim Kardashian actually worked a day in her life, or will she forever be known as the daughter of one of O.J. Simpson's defense attorneys until she runs out of money. So they have a sex tape, so they got caught speeding and driving while drinking. Everyday people do and we don't make the news for it. Because of their status however, the ending result is usually much less than it is for us.

It's even more of an insult to me when they run these shows nightly for a week, taking up programming time that could be used elsewhere. So there is a guy who can armpit fart the Star Spangled Banner...sign him up for a record deal. I like shows that make you think. Shows like House, Bones, CSI, and when these shows are forced on hiatus for weeks so that we can observe Celebrity Rehab, I get irritated. Most reality shows are a joke to me. How much goes on behind the scenes is never revealed until after. Big Brother puts people in a house to see if they can get along. Why wouldn't they be able to? There is no reason they couldn't unless the network purposely stirred things up for ratings.

I say reality tv needs a facelift. Take all the people who have lost, cried, whined, or been voted off and put them in one room. Release a tiger, an alligator, and a squirell and whomever is left standing is declared the winner. Their prize is they get to clean up the mess. Now that I would watch. I mentioned earlier that I am a fan of Hell's Kitchen. This is reality. These people are fighting for a place alongside one of the best chefs in the world, and they are using actual skills to do it. They vote like other shows, they compete like other shows, but there is nothing degrading about it. They aren't recquired to swim to the bottom of a lake, tickle an octopus till he giggles, than run barefoot backwards across wet sand wearing a clothespin on their eyelids to win. Gordon Ramsey is a tough cookie. He takes noting for granted and he turns 15 people into better cooks by shows end. In reality all contestants are winners for having worked with him. That is something worth watching to me.

So if I have offended you, sorry. If I made you look at reality televeison closer, good. Please read my blogs with an open mind and remember...I am funny haha..not funny hoho. If it makes you happy to see people dance like puppets and grin like fools...best to you. Until next time...thanks for reading...now THIS is reality.

Brandon

No comments: