Monday, August 25, 2008

Rated "R"

For some reason on the way home tonight, I started thinking about violence and the impact it has on society as a whole. It's in movies, on TV, commercials include some, and music today has violence in it. Noone can be entirely shielded from it, it is virtually everywhere. I started to wonder if maybe as a society we had become desensitized to it. We see, hear and know about it daily, so it stands to reason this could be in fact true.

Voltaire was quoted as saying "Violence is the first refuge of the incompetent". Sounds like he knew his stuff. But where does it begin? Where does it end? Can we do anything to control it? Psychologists have studied this for years....long before Columbine or Oklahoma City. Decades before John Kennedy or Charles Manson. Some believe violence is inherant...to some extent I agree. If a child grows up knowing violence, his tendency towards it are far greater. But not always 100% mind you. Nothing is certain. A child growing up in a loving home surrounded by siblings who leads an ernest, honest life can turn bad. Look at Ted Bundy. He was an Eagle Scout. He was an honor student. He was a notorious serial killer.

Movies today promote violence for ticket sales. The almighty dollar has become a leading factor in what and how much violence to include in movies. I hate to burst your bubble folks, but Harry Potter and even your beloved Twilight deal on a violence premise. The more violent, the more gory, the more improbable a movie is, the higher the box office. Why do you think horror movies fare so well at the box office? They could release Halloween XVI in July and it would break 100 million.

I mentioned music as well. I could list 3,500 artists (no exageration) who have included violence in one form or another in their lyrics. Carrie Underwood sings of revenge by "Carving my name into his leather seats". Not all violence must include another person. Violence is defined as "Physical force exercised to damage, injure or destroy". Violence can be viewed as psychological, physical, mental, or even spiritual. The burning of a cross by Nazi supremists connotates spiritual persecution and the promise of physical violence.

Now what about simple TV commercials desigend to make us think or possibly laugh? The wife hitting her husband upside the head and stating "You couldda had a V-8". The drunk driving commercials aired by the numerous lawyers and ambulance chasers. Are these images we want todays youth to see and think are "just natural"? I personally am not offended by anything. I don't watch a lot of TV. I honestly could care less. Do I play violent video games? Absolutely. Would I allow a 7 or 8 year old to play the games I play? Not a freakin chance.

There has been and always will be talk of gun control. Nothing will ever come of it. We can write every congressman and we can storm every Capitol Hill, but guns will always be a part of this nation and it's survival. I don't own a gun, but my house is finely decorated in knives. I have dragon handle knives, bone handle knives, knives as long as my arm, some smaller than my pinky. There are knives only I know where to find. I honestly pity the poor dumb person who breaks into my house. You may own a gun, but you'll get one shot...than it's game on. This doesn't mean I condone violence, only protection of what's mine. Survival of the fittest if you will.

I think I have expressed myself as well as I am going to get. I truly would love to hear what your thoughts are on this subject. Again, and as always, there is no right or wrong. If you feel my opinion is biased, tell me, I only get angered at hidden agendas. I hope I have not upset anyone, and as always I honor and trust your feelings.

On a lighter note, for those of you who may not know yet, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince has been pushed back by the studios to next July 17th. Now THAT angers me. And also for those of you not aware, movie ratings are now defined by the amount of smoking involved in it. That's right, if more than 3 cigarettes are lit, it's an auotmatic "R" rating. Were I an actor, all my movies would be rated "R".

Peace, love and ticklish feelings.............Brandon

1 comment:

Brandon said...

ONe last thought than I promise to put the soapbox away. Violence in our prison systems. People convicted of a crime against a child are quartered in a special part of the prison known as "PC" or protective custody. Why? These are crimes frowned on in the prison. Ironic isn't it? People convicted of a crime against a child are more prone to be a victim of violence...leading to the question Where does it end? If we can't stop it on the outside and it continues on the inside, have we failed as a society??

Soapbox has been put away. I feel better now.

Brandon