Friday, August 29, 2008

HA HA HAAA...HEE HEE HEE

Yesterday on the radio they were talking about the new Entertainment Weekly magazine list of the 25 best comedies of the last 25 years. The top honors went to Ghostbusters. I'm as surprised as you are. Don't get me wrong, I thought Ghosbusters was funny, just not No. 1 funny. My tastes in movies run off color of those of many I'm sure, and that is part of what makes me unique. So in this blog, I thought I'd poll you, my constant readers, on what YOU thought should be named the No. 1 comedy of the last 25 years.

Now like I said, my tastes run different and often even afoul of most and many. To me, Monty Python desereved top billing over Ghostbusters. Among the list in the top ten were...There's Something About Mary (one of my favorites), The Big Lebowski, Nat'l Lampoon's Vacation, Office Space ( excuse me...you've got my stapler), South Park, and Beverly Hills Cop. All great comedies. All worth watching more than once if that is your taste in comedies.

I grew up on funny movies. As a youth in the ghetto of West Valley I was raised on movies like M.A.S.H., Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein (puttin on the Riiitzzz), and of course The Cannonball Run series. All wonderful movies with extremely wonderful comedians. Nowadays, anyone can make a movie and call it a comedy. I've seen some movies listed in the comedy section of Blockbuster that should have filed under crap. I have never found movies about drug use/abuse funny. Dazed and Confused was also on the top ten list...I never thought it to be rremotely funny. This is Spinal Tap..also on the top ten list...again, NOT funny. But that is only my critique. I'm not you, and you may have found them to be hilarious.

I am quite fond of quoting a funny line from a movie. It's amazing how easily some of the best lines in some of the best movies will fit into everyday normal conversation. If I am ever on a boat being attacked by a 30 foot Great White, I can't wait to say "You're gonna need a bigger boat". My boss at work is always testing me on my movie knowledge..asking me to "name the actor" or even "name the movie". Please!!! I managed a Blockbuster for several years, and I own over 2,000 movies. I'm a movie buff. An officionado. A geek of cinema. The one category I excel at in trivial pursuit? You guessed it...Movies. When I worked for Blockbuster, other store managers would call me when a customer came in asking for "That one movie with that girl who does that thing and then falls for that guy"...you know the one. I speak a form of cinemaese and can often answer their query and find them the movie they seek.

I've rambled and I apologize. I've named a few comedies and expressed my thoughts on them. What would I consider the best comedy of the last 25 years....that's a tough one. I don't think I could name a favorite...not just one anyway. I like to laugh. I like to make other people laugh. I am not against raunchy comedy to gain a laugh. It all boils down to what you like doesn't it? So here is your chance. Tell me what makes you laugh. What movie jumps out at you as the funniest? What movie do you think will make the list 25 years from now?

This will be my last post for a few weeks. I leave Sunday for a two week vacation in Mexico and Hawaii. I will miss reading your blogs as well as reading your comments to this one. Maybe I will use the "bigger boat" line on the Captain of the cruise ship....think he'll buy it?

Take care of yourselves and take care of each other. Laughter truly IS the best medicine and I don't ever doubt its potency. Remember...it takes 23 muscles to frown and only 2 to smile....or something like that. But if a frown is an upside down smile...great, now I'm confused.

Missing you all already....be back before you know it. Gracias and Mahalo Brandon

3 comments:

Lisa J said...

Okay, tons of movies make me laugh- some without even intending to. I have to say that some of my favorite comedies in the past 25 years (or around about 25 years) are:
Raising Arizona ("You ate SAND?" "Dat's right. We ate sand.")
MP Holy Grail (of course)
The Gods Must Be Crazy ("I died, you know.")
O Brother Where Art Thou? ("How's my hair?")
Mystery Men ("Well, I AM a ticking time-bomb of furry.")
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure ("Dude, strange things are afoot at the Circle K.")
So I Married An Axe Murderer ("Oh, he'll be cryin' himself to sleep on his huge pilla.")
Galaxy Quest ("You're not going to die, Guy.")
Wayne's World ("Ohhh Dreeeeamweeeaver")
I could go on forever...

...oh wait, did you just ask for one movie?

Anonymous said...

SOOO Many! I love to laugh, here are a few that never fail me:
*So, I Married an Axe Murderer: "Head! Pants! Now!"
*Three Amigos: "You can tell by it's little balls..."
*Notting Hill: "Whopsie Daisies"

*Mamma Mia: "Are you getting any?...Whoa! Down Boy!"
*A Knight's Tale: "You have been weighed, measured, and have been found wanting" "My Foxy Lady"

*That Thing You Do: "You're Talking Jibberish!" "Chad? Chad Who?" "Go to your room and write the hit song 'Alone in My Principles'"

I miss you! I hope you are having an amazing time!

Lisa J said...

One of my favorite quotes from That Thing You Do is when they're talking with that guy about signing the contract and the one guy goes something like, "You GUYS! A guy in a really nice...camper...wants us to sign a contract!"

Something like that anyway.

What about Bandits, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and Star Wars?

Okay, so Star Wars isn't exactly a comedy, but still should be included on ANY top movies list of the past 25 years. Oh...wait. I guess it's been longer than 25 years. But still.