Sunday, December 14, 2008

Holidays

Ok, so its been awhile and I havent written anything in here. I thought today we would discuss the Holidays. What they mean to us (other than the obvious "family" reason), and what some of our traditions are. The Holidays mean extra time off for me. They also mean a chance to spend time with or see people you havent seen in like forver. I know to some the idea of time off from work and the daily routine sounds rather selfish. Youre right, it is. I wouldnt say I have the hardest job in the world, but it is definitely a physical demand daily, and the idea of sitting on my butt typing a blog is much more appealing than getting up at 430 in the morning for work.

There is also the seeing people part. When I say this I typically mean relatives. Im not especially close to my father's side of the family. I have some wonderful cousins and some very nice aunts and uncles, its just not a "lets get together every chance we get" type of family. Recently my Grandfather died, and I had the opportunity to see many if not all of this side of the family. Uncles who live in Vegas and Texas came up and it was a brief time for re-connection. I saw two cousins I hadnt seen since they were 3 and 5...they are both now in college and one is taller than I am. It was a sad time for the family, but a joyous one as well.

So now, as far as seeing people, I guess you could say Ive done my one turn for the year. Im sure there are Christmas parties and other gatherings, I just usually choose not to attend. I have noone to blame but myself, and Im ok with that. What Im really loking forward to this year is the seeing that someone special in my life. For the last many many years, there has been noone to spend the Holiday with. That all changes this year. Im looking very forward to spending some time and much needed rest and relaxation with Jackie. This will be my first year away from home on the Holiday, but again, Im ok with that. Jackie and I are planning on spending Christmas and the few days following in Las Vegas. I love Las Vegas and everything about it. The up all night atmosphere, the never closes vibe. I could live there. Its warm and the people arent so uptight about smoking in public.

I cant wait to see Jackie again. It seems like forever ago since we last saw each other, but in reality its been mere weeks. I wont howver have the chance to spend time with the kids. They are all going back to Chicago to be with their Dad or Grandparents. Michael (the second oldest) is going to China with his school roommate. Its just her and I. I hate not being able to see the kids though. The little buggers have grown on me like a fungus or mold. I look forward to spending even the smallest of minutes with them. Bonding, having fun, you know...being like a parent. The whole idea scares the royal hell out of me. I dont consider myself a good role model, nor do I look at myself as a postive parental figure. I dont treat the children as my own as Jackie and I agreed its better for them to get used to our realtionship and grow accustomed to it first. Right now the relationship between me and the kids is more of a friendly nature. Give it time.

So now that I have wandered, I will actually go into the whole question behind this particular blog. The Holidays. Now I have already told you what they mean to me, and now I would like to discuss the traditons. My mom has a tradition of giving one present every year on Christmas Eve. It is usually a new pair of pajamas. As I have grown older, the gift has changed. It started when I was younger as footed (or is it feeted) pj's to more along the adult line...pants and a t shirt. As the gift has progressed, so have I. I have gone from wearing the cute adorable pj's with the Hulk or the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers to more along the lines of just the bottoms. Most times not even that. I now have a rather wonderful collection of pj bottoms that come in very handy after working all day. There is nothing better in my mind than lounging around the house on a cold Saturday afternoon in a pair of flannel bottoms, my Motley Crue tshirt and a nice hot cup of coffee.

That is really the only tradition we have. We get up, make a mess of the family room, clean up the mess, comment on gifts given and eat a nice homemade breakfast. I have been volunteered as I have grown older to cook part of that breakfast, and I gladly do so. Its not much, but it brings everyone closer together for one day.

So now I would like to know what your traditons are. What do the holidays mean to you. Is it stress, worry, financial ruin? Could it be knowing you have your loved ones around? Is it just a nice relaxing day off work? You tell us gentle reader.

I will continue to write my blogs now that I have a new computer. I downloaded something and ended up with a nasty hacker virus that destroyed my old one. Jackie gave me my Christmas early and sent me my new wonderful puter. You all have her to thank for my new batch of ramblings and posts. I know I do. Thank you so much honey, I truly do love you.

I wish you all the best of the best and the happiest of happy. I pray your Holidays are without incident and add to your fondest memories. I have missed you all, and look forward to reconnecting to you once again.

Until the next post.....Feliz Navidad, Vesele Vanoce (Bohemian), Mele Kalikimaka, Shub Naya Baras (Hindi), Sung Tan Chuk Ha (Korean), Saint Dan Fai Lok (Cantonese), and of course Merry Christmas.

Brandon Claus

4 comments:

DeLaina said...

Ha ha-Brandon Claus-love it!

First, THANK YOU Jackie for providing Brandon with a computer so he could update his blog! I've missed his posts.

Second, you need to add Joyeux Noel (French) and Buon Natale (Italian)to your really cool list.

Third, Christmas for me is the time to center myself and to remind me of my priorities in life, what is really important to me. That seems odd considering how commercial the celebration of the birth of the Savior has become, but I like to reflect on how well I have honored my commitments, taken care of my sweet family, served my fellowman, and generally made the world a better place by being in it. Most years I fall terribly short of where I wanted to be, but dust myself off and optimistically try again the next year.

We always do a family service project (we made kitty blankets this year for the Animal Shelter to give with the animals that get adopted) to remind my kids that Christmas is not all about getting, but giving.

The girls tend to make presents for everyone in the family and keep it a big secret to the point that on Christmas morning they are less concerned with what they got than with watching us open the gifts they made.

I downplay Santa for purely selfish reasons. I want the credit for the "good" present! Santa fills their stocking and gives them one present. They generally get one from me, one from Paul, one from their siblings, and then a handful from the grandparents, aunties, uncles and cousins. We have never been a family to go all out on gifts mostly b/c during the year if they really need something, we get it then. Paul's parents used to make him wait til Christmas to get new shoes or clothes and I think that's silly.

My family has a Christmas Brunch with crepes, bacon, eggs, juice etc. that is our big tradition. (Last year there were 19 of us and we downed seven lbs of bacon. Pigs!)

And, on Christmas Eve we reenact the Nativity which is always fun. It usually includes some irreverent scenes with Paul being the donkey and "accidentally" knocking things over. It sounds hokey, but it's fun and the kids love it.

My kids are all good sleepers so we rarely get up before 7:30 or 8:00 which has helped to heal the childhood trauma of having my brother play his trumpet in my ear at 6am on Christmas morning. I valued sleep more than presents and usually spent a fairly cranky Christmas Day plotting ways to strangle Darrell.

Well, I hope that was enough rambling for you, my friend. Merry Christmas!!!

DeLaina

Kamie said...

One of our traditions is a treasure hunt for the "top of the list" gifts. We do this after we've opened all of the other presents and had breakfast (eggs benedict and orange rolls). The kids have to wait several hours, but they don't seem to mind. Darin always comes up with the riddles and makes the kids run all over the house trying to figure out where the next clue lies. As they get older, the clues get much more difficult. It is a tradition that his parents started and it has been very fun for us to continue.

Happy Holidays! Enjoy your time with Jackie in Las Vegas.

Anonymous said...

My tradition sounds eerily familiar. But alas, this year, my Brother will be in Vegas. (and he is not taking me). No, but seriously...I hope you have fun, and enjoy your well deserved and earned "time on your butt". Jackie has been wonderful for you, and great to us all. She deserves to have you this year!! S Rozhdestvom (russian)

Lisa J said...

You know, usually my Christmas traditions consist of trying to cram as much as possible into the season to make it completely perfect for everyone around me, which invariable ends with me really grouchy on Christmas Eve, wrapping presents until 3:00 in the morning, and cursing Santa Claus. Then on Christmas at some point for about 5 minutes I will remember that the whole reason for Christmas is to remember the birth of Jesus.

So this year back in November, I decided that I was going to completely simplify the season to focus more on Christ's birth, which meant doing away with a lot of things that made me run around like crazy trying to make it all perfect. So I cut out a lot of things I had planned. Two days later, the ward Activity Lady called me and asked if I'd be in charge of the Christmas party program. Then about a week later, I found out that I need major surgery and scheduled it for Dec. 22. So much for simplifying.

But as I got the program ready and realized my limitations in what I could do with the surgery coming up, I found both of these things actually being a blessing this season. I've had to limit my focus to the things that are really important, instead of getting distracted by the things that are fun but unnecessary (and we all know how much I get distracted by the fun and unnecessary stuff). I've simplified out of necessity and it's been really, really nice. I think "simplifying" might be my new Christmas tradition.

Ummmm...I'm hoping this answered your question, but now I can't really remember what the question was. So you ended up with a little rambling from me. Of course, that's nothing new.

Merry Christmas anyway!