Sunday, October 19, 2008

Holy $*&% !

Yes, I know the title of this blog is a little off putting, but bear with me folks. This blog also falls into the Halloween theme. In this one, I want to know what scares you the most. Now everyone has their fears. If anyone tells you " I ain't a skeered of anything", they are lying. Everyone has a fear. Inate or not. For some it's spiders, for others clowns. Yes, clowns. I have a cousin who is frigthened of clowns. Sad, happy, evil...doesn't matter. I made the mistake once of wearing my Motley Crue Carnival of Sins t-shirt around her...I wasn't aware she hated clowns till that day. She avoided me like the plague.

Now I'm not looking for you to admit your fears so we can all have a good laugh. I wouldn't do that. I have fears of my own. For instance, I am deathly afraid of sharks. I have the utmost respect for a killing machine that has survived millions of years of evolution, and I have no desire whatsoever of swimming with one or even being close enough to touch one. Oh I went into the ocean when I was in Hawaii...far enough to jump out again if anything brushed past my leg that wasn't to my liking. I don't really care for spiders either. Nothing says good morning worse than waking to a hairy wolf spider on your ceiling as a teenager. Now THAT got me out of bed and actually looking forward to school. The movie Arachnophobia still creeps me out to this day. I know there are others out there that share my sentiment to these eight legged demons.

Now that I have sufficietly freaked myself out, I would be highly interested in what freaks you out. For some it is the fear of death. For others nothing more complicating than the fear of public speaking. Whatever it may be, fear has the power to render you motionless. The power to dry your tongue, palpitate your heart and make you sweat. There are literally hundreds of fears out there. Some we may find silly or ridiculous, but fears none the less. For example, Ablutophobia is the fear of bathing or washing. Alliumphobia is the fear of garlic (I suppose most Vampires would have this fear). Bibliophobia is the fear of books. Cacophobia is the fear of ugliness. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture. There are fears out there for everything...and I mean everything. From books to razors, toads to snakes. Fear of the number 13 to the fear of beautiful women. So what is your fear? Psychologists believe that admitting our fears help us in realising them and facing them more openly and evenly. Whatever helps you sleep at night, right?

I have included at the bottom of this blog a webpage. It is the "official" list of fears. It is alphabetized for those with the fear of disorder. It is a very interesting list and you may surprise yourself with what you find on it. Take a look, relax, and let us know what haunts your dreams. What is it that freezes you in your steps? I have avoided my blog posters responsibilities as of late, I have been lurking in the shadows reading your blogs but sending none of my own. I hope for this to change. I appreciate your kindness, and your willingness to read. I also love your comments and concerns. Please keep on keeping on, and I shall in turn keep on writing things for you to read.

http://www.phobialist.com/

Until next time...I think I saw a spider in the shower...

3 comments:

Lisa J said...

Okay, so I posted this on my blog a long time ago, so you may've already read it: I am terrified of being in water where I can't touch the bottom. I'm an okay swimmer, but still. Scares the crap out of me. Even if I'm on a boat or in the airplane--doesn't matter. Just knowing I'm over water that's deep makes me start shaking.

I'm terrified of having something harmful or dangerous happen to my kids and me being helpless about it. Even thinking about it gives me a feeling of panic.

I'm scared of balloons blown up too big, rubber bands pointed at me, and loud noises. I thank my brothers for those fears.

I'm also scared of opening those pressurized biscuit tubes. I hate them. I hate not knowing when they're going to pop. My kids chase me with them because they think it's so funny. Of course while I'm acting all way-over-the-top scared.

Well, there you go. Oh, and snakes.

Laurie A Ramirez said...

Ha ha!! Lisa - that seriously made me laugh out loud! There is obviously a connection between the rubber bands and balloons and between the balloons and the biscuit container. Good stuff!

I have to agree with you Lisa - I'm very afraid of the water myself. I am not a skilled swimmer and I cannot count on myself to save my own life if necessary. In fact, when we were in Hawaii, I snorkeled for the first time and literally almost died (not good the day before my wedding). And, I was LIVID because my hubby to be sat peacefully on the beach with his iPod in and texting his friends while I struggled to maintain my existence on the planet! Grr...

I did however, get to see some beautiful creatures which leads me to conclude I am not scared of the ocean per se...just drowning in general. I'd be equally scared to be in a pool all alone if I couldn't save myself.

The other thing that scares me more than anything in this world is being victimized in some way. I don't know how women who are raped or beaten can go on! I am hyper vigilant when walking around campus or anywhere else in the dark or alone. I would say it borders on paranoia really... but for my own good, right? So, it's okay. I have unbelievably vivid dreams that someone has broken into my house and is coming for me...thankfully those have subsided since I no longer live alone...one benefit of having to share my world, eh?

I agree with you Brandon on the spider thing. I pray to God I never encounter a tarantula in the wild. I think I would honestly rather take on a grizzly than find a huge hairy spider in my tent. Ew...enough! I'm freaking myself out!

DeLaina said...

I am scared of growing old and losing physical capacity but not mental acuity-being trapped inside a shell of a body without the ability to function at the level I'm used to.